Survey: Taiko Conference Discussion Sessions

What do you think are some of the key issues to be discussed at Taiko Conference this coming August?

Past topics include:

“What you should know but we don’t talk about”, a discussion of taiko etiquitte,

“You’re a taiko player?!”, what it means to play a Japanese drum when you’re not Japanese,

and near and dear to my heart,

“Why taiko music should be free, and how Copyleft can help us”, about why I believe all music should be freely shared.

What do you think?  What are key questions for us taiko players to discuss?  Please share your thoughts below!

Thank you everyone again for some great feedback on our last Taiko Conference Survey regarding workshops for this year!

Tags:

8 Responses to “Survey: Taiko Conference Discussion Sessions”

1. Dave says:

I feel like the question of new vs traditional taiko is important to talk about. Lots of groups don’t know much about what they’re doing.

2. Mark N. says:

“Taiko information sharing” – Can’t there be an online forum where people can post tips,techniques,drills, etc? Lesson plans, drills, and information sharing can be done online at anytime. We don’t need to wait every 2 years for a conference to answer a question as “my back hurts when I’m in slant stand. What do I do?” Taiko should be free and freely shared!

3. Alysse says:

For Profit vs. Non Profit – The pros and cons of for profit versus not for profit. This is a good topic for any groups looking to incorporate and talk to organizations that have gone through or are going through the process :). If you have any questions of what should be discussed, please shoot me an e-mail.

4. Terry says:

A session on “growing pains” again: youth taiko, collegiate taiko, post-collegiate (exploring options and transitioning to new groups and opportunities)…

5. How about a discussion on opportunities to study taiko in Japan (or other countries).

6. Stan says:

I’d be interested in a discussion on taiko as folk art — historically, that’s where it come from (a discussion on sources right there) so maybe discuss to what degree it still retains that purpose/function in America, or does it?

7. kris says:

Great responses everyone! I’ll package them up and pass them along to the Taiko Conference Advisory Board. Thank you, thank you!

8. chris says:

With the current size and growth of taiko groups in N. America would it be beneficial to create an organized body similar to Nihon Taiko Foundation in the states? What are the possible benefits and drawbacks? (ie. Testing and certification, federal funding, taiko conference every year, full-time available resource for groups starting out, creation of taiko museums/centers/studios/schools, etc.)